Congratulations on the decision to further your education and start increasing your earning power and career potential. Deciding to return to school is a huge decision and for non traditional students there are often a lot of unanswered questions. If you have decided that an online university is the best option for your education, then there are some things you will need to know when choosing an online school. Here are the ten questions to ask yourself when choosing an online university.
1. Can you afford it. Most online universities now offer generous financial aid packages to qualified students. These packages can contain loans, grants and even scholarships. The good news is that grants and scholarships do not have to be repaid. Loans will, but after graduation.
2. Do you have the time? If you simply cannot fit one more thing into your schedule, then attending an online university is a good option for you. Online courses mean that if the only time you have to work on course material is in the middle of the night, it really doesn’t matter as long as you have time somewhere in your day.
3. What do you want to do when you’re finished? If you are interested in changing careers and are considering an online education to make that happen, then you already know the answer. If you intend to stay in the same career field, then perhaps you are seeking an advancement or a new job entirely. It is always a good idea to know what you want from the future.
4. Is the school accredited? A degree from an online university is worth more if the school is accredited. Be certain to find out before you select an online university.
5. Who are the instructors? If you want to attend an online university, find out where the faculty come from. Are they full time instructors? Or, are they all adjunct professors who work full time in their area of specialty? There is not necessarily a right answer to this question, but it is good information to have.
6. Who are the other students? Find out who attends the online university you are considering and if possible, request contact information from the admission office so that you can make contact with some current students and alumni.
7. How many classes can you handle? If you intend to take one course at a time, make sure this is allowable at your online college. If you want to finish quickly, ask about rolling course starts and whether you can accelerate the program by working faster.
8. Which university offers the course you need? There are many different online universities serving the needs of students like you. You should investigate their offerings to find the one that is the best match for you.
9. Will the university help you find a new or better job? The reason you are attending an online university is to improve your life, so it is important to find the one that will help you achieve the most from your life and career.
10. Is the university well known and reputable? As you research different online universities, be certain to check out what people are saying about the school. You are going to make a large investment into your future and it is best to make an educated decision.